As much fun as Halloween is, it is not so much fun for your teeth! Everyone’s mouth has naturally occurring bacteria called streptococcus. This bacteria feeds on sugar and breaks it down into acids that erode your tooth enamel, making sugary Halloween candy particularly dangerous for dental care. Getting your children not to eat their candy after they’re done trick-or-treating, though, is not exactly easy. Even if you do not have children, you may not feel comfortable giving away too much candy that will rot teeth.
If you give out treats on Halloween night but don’t want to be the house that gives out raisins, then there are ways to give out good treats without being the “boring house.” Many popular candies have sugar-free versions that are a bit more expensive, but usually not much more. If you prefer not to buy sugar-free candy because you aren’t a fan of sugar substitutes, then candies such as solid chocolate, peanut packets, popcorn packets, and trail mix are a decent option.
Of course, if you take your children trick-or-treating instead, it is practically impossible to avoid sugary Halloween candy altogether. Make sure your children eat these treats in moderation to reduce the risk of sugar overload and cavities. Remind them to practice good dental habits as they go through this candy-eating period. Flossing and brushing regularly should combat any Halloween cavities that want to terrify your children’s teeth!